Friday, June 3, 2011

Surviving Weeks One and Two

We made it through almost 2 weeks. All 3 of us are still standing. Here are some things that have happened.

1St Dr. Visit: Madilynn had her 1st Dr. visit last Thursday. She had lost 7oz. from her birth weight. Everything was looking great and she's in good health.


1St Trip to the Store: Jordan and I took her to Target the day after we got home. We just needed a few thing. What would have normally been a 30 minuet trip took us THREE AND A HALF HOURS!!! As soon as we got there she started to fuss. That was remedied by Jordan pushing her up and down aisles in the stroller. Then she started to wail. She needed fed and changed. Since I wasn't going to feed her in the bathroom (yuck), I took her to the car to nurse and change her. This left Jordan wandering around the store trying to find the items we needed. It was very stressful, to say the least.


1st Family Party: We took Madilynn to Jordan's family's Memorial Day party. We really didn't want to go, but I was getting restless in the house and needed to get out. We were only going to stay 2 hours tops, but ended up being there for over 4. I was a mess of stress. Everyone wanted to hold her. We had to put up with "advice" from his family and got criticized for "Mother Henning" aka: hovering around our baby when others were holding her. I decided to wrap it up and go home when someone told me I "didn't get a turn holding my baby because I got to hold her all the time at home." My tongue was bleeding from having to bite it so hard.


Other "Milestones":

--Jordan survived projectile poop
--We cleared our 1st diaper rash
--Her bellybutton stump fell off
--Madilynn is sleeping more in her co-sleeper and less in bed or with Jordan in the chair
--We've mastered breastfeeding and have a little stock pile building in the freezer

What I Enjoy:

--Taking her photos
--Nursing
--Snuggling
--Giving her kisses

What is Tough:

--Learning to relax when she's on her own; either in her swing or co-sleeper. I check on her a lot but I'm slowly learning that it's ok to take my eyes off her.

--Seeing her grow so fast. I love that she's growing and getting stronger, but I wish I could freeze time a bit and have stay small a little longer.
--Watching her struggle and push to poop. She grunts, stretches, and cries. Sometimes she wails and screams. It hurts my heart. I try to rub her back, move her legs, and soothe her, but it's little help. It's tough to watch her cry as she works it out, but there's not too much I can do.

How I'm Feeling: I've had a few days of baby blues where I cried a lot. There are days where I'm just irritated and frustrated. It's getting better though. I'm doing better physically and have bounced back surprisingly fast. I've lost 12 of the 15lbs I gained while pregnant so far. I'm thinner looking than I was before I got pregnant. Everything is back to normal except that my belly is a little loose. My boobs have gotten a lot bigger and I've gotten a few stretch marks on them. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of this little head start and working out. I know if I start working out right away I have a better chance of loosing all the baby weight and, hopefully, a little more. I'm just waiting to heal 100% before hitting the gym. In the meantime, I put Madilynn in the Moby wrap and take walks around our neighborhood.

Jordan: Loves being a dad. He's so good with Madilynn. He's not scared of poop or spit-up. He takes a very active roll in taking care of her. He's looking forward to feeding her when we introduce bottles in a few weeks. I know that him going back to work is going to be a little tough cause he'll miss her a lot.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got criticized for MOTHER HENNING.
    This if your first baby. In her first weeks of life. Stop it!

    I'm so happy for you guys! I love the new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. By more than one person. Jordan was none too happy about that either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the picture. Post more pics of her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blog is so well written, Dawn. I also think you look great physically! Your a natural at this new mom role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Stephanie: I will admit that pregnancy was very kind to me physically.

    Maybe on the outside I look like a natural. You don't see the part of me at home pulling my hair out and second guessing everything I do.

    ReplyDelete