Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Trying to Keep Myself Busy

I could say a lot of stuff about being a stay at home mom...
"It's so rewarding."
"I feel so fulfilled."
"I can't see myself doing anything else."
....that would be a total lie.

Truth is, sometimes I feel that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Sure, it is rewarding at times. I get to be home to catch all of Madilynn's "firsts" and to see her laugh and learn. But these events are few and far between at this point. I get to be at home and watch her sleep. To soothe her crying and change diapers and dirty clothes. YAY! To watch her in her swing or on her play mat or prop her up next to me on the sofa while I try to eat my lunch in one sitting....if I get a lunch at all. It's totally entertaining.......*yawn*

I went to college for restaurant management and then on to culinary school. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my college degree and skills. However, having a career in the restaurant industry does not go too well with having a family life. Restaurant work is mostly nights, weekends, and holidays. It's cooking for other people when they have time to relax and enjoy themselves. I like to be home when my husband is home, to enjoy family parties and be able to hang out with friends.

I would really love another part time job. I miss the little bit of spending money that I had when I worked while pregnant. But what am I going to do? Pay for daycare? I wouldn't come close to breaking even because all my earnings would go to childcare. And leaving my baby with a stranger who won't give her one on one attention all day is not for me. I could leave her with my mother-in-law. And, if I could find a little job that gave me the hours I wanted, it might be an option in the future. I just feel like Madi is too little to be left with someone right now.

I'll be honest, sitting at home with a newborn is BORING!!! So, I try to keep myself busy.

Mondays I do the laundry and grocery shopping.
Tuesdays I try to get errands ran and other non-food shopping done.
Wednesdays I go to a breastfeeding moms meetup group.
Thursdays and Fridays I try to hit some garage sales in the mornings and then find something to do in the afternoons.

Even though I have stuff going on, I still get totally bored during the day. So, I've been in my craft room making hair bows for my baby. I've thought about putting them on Etsy, along with some crocheted hats I've made, but I'm not sure about it. I don't know how all the shipping and tax works. And there's always the fear of failing. Etsy is already flooded with the same items that I make, so why would anyone pick my stuff to buy?

I've thought of renting booth space at the local farmer's market, but then I'd have to find/buy a table and pop-up awning thing. And booth rental is anywhere from $15-$30 so if I don't sell enough I loose money.

It's something I enjoy doing and it might earn me a little money. Jordan is all for it and has been encouraging me to start up a shop. Right now I've been making them and giving them to the moms at group and they all seem to like them. The whole thought of it makes me nervous, which holds me back.

















Here are the sets that I made for some moms at group.



Some other flowers I've made for Madilynn's headbands

I'm still trying to figure out what to do, if anything at all. But for now, my little hobby keeps me busy and entertained. Any my baby looks super cure sporting my wares.

No comments:

Post a Comment