Friday, January 20, 2012

Resolution: Home Project

When I take the time to look around my house, I notice a lot of things I dislike and want to change.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our house, but we've been here over 2 years and it still looks like we just moved in.

The people that lived here before us had a huge thing for wood trim.  It wouldn't be such a problem except I'm assuming the man of the house did it himself.  He spent huge amounts of money on very nice trim.  However, that's where the niceness wears out.  It's honey oak in color (which I'm finding hard to match with paint colors) and he did a crappy job of installing it.  He obviously didn't have the tools or know how to join the trim properly.  He used decorative pieces of trim to butt the boards against instead of cutting them to fit properly.  This makes the trim look clunky and interrupted.

When we moved in we removed most of the trim and wainscoating.  It was a huge improvement, but I'm still irked by what's still left.  So, I'm painting it white.  I've started in the bedroom to see how it looks and to gauge how hard it is.  So far it's been pretty easy.  I have the primer up and I already see a huge improvement.  Once I see it with paint I'll know if it's something I want to carry out throughout the rest of the house.  I've always loved white trim and it will be a lot easier to match paint for the walls since almost everything goes with white.

I think it will be a good winter project.  Once that is done, I plan on painting the family room and FINALLY getting some pictures and art on the walls.  By the end of spring it should look like a family lives here instead a hodge podge of bare walls and miss match.

Before and after picture soon to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures please! :)

    It is always difficult to change something once someone has started it and you have ti pick it up from where they have left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahah! Interestingly enough, I kind of had the same realization on Saturday! I visited one of my college roommates, who just bought a house and they've already done more than Mike and I have done in 2 years!! I need to make my house a home. Good luck dude. I'm sure the white trim will be a HUGE improvement.

    ReplyDelete