Monday, February 27, 2012

Food and a Baby

When I was pregnant one of the things I looked forward to the most was cooking for and feeding my daughter.  I knew I wanted to breastfeed her and am blessed that it came so easily to me.  When it was time for her to have purees I was excited to go to the store and buy fruits and veggies and bring them home and cook and mash them for her baby food.  Now that she's older it's fun to give her finger foods and watch her explore the food with her hands and feed herself.

I always liked to cook and bake with my mom.  I really hope that Madilynn wants to do the same with me.  Right now she likes to sit in her high chair when I cook dinner.  I talk to her and tell her what I'm doing.  I let her smell, touch and, if appropriate, taste the ingredients.  Most nights Jordan and I eat dinner at the kitchen table and she eats with us.  It's one of my favorite parts of the day that we can sit as a family and be together.  If I have something on the menu that she can mash in her mouth and eat I put it on her tray so she can examine it.  Most of the time she makes a big mess and I'm learning to relax and let her have fun and not worry so much about her sticky fingers and the food in her hair.

Now that she's a little older, she likes to ride in the shopping cart.  She really enjoys looking around at all the people.  I like to hand her some of the food before I put it in a bag so that she can explore it.  She's just so observant and content to see everything and everyone as we shop.

I love food so much.  I love to cook it.  I love to eat it even more.  I love cooking for other people, especially my friends and family.  It's just so fun to share something I love so much with my daughter.  It makes me so happy to see that she's starting to get interested in it too.  And my girl LOVES to eat.

 Graham Cracker

 Waffle

 Spaghetti

Bagel

No comments:

Post a Comment